Music Banter - View Single Post - Music from EX Yugoslavia
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Those were interesting to listen to. I think I also preferred your favorite due to the upbeat and simple ska (?) sound of it. What are they singing about? I suppose my only complaint is that the song sounds pretty much exactly like other songs I've heard in that genre. Perhaps the lyrics give it some individuality that I can't appreciate since I can't understand them?
Mali covek (Little Man) is one of my favorites from Sarlo Akrobata, but if I have to choose from those bands, I kinda lean more toward Elektricni Orgazam and their synth driven melodies. I actually like their second album better, but unfortunately couldn't find anything on You Tube.

As for the lyrics, a somewhat free translation would be:
Little man wants to cross the line,
He wants to, but he can't,
The prescribed norms are suffocating him,
(But) his place is across the line.

And that's it. The lyrics from all those bands, but especially Sarlo Akrobata, are pretty minimal and repetitive.

This Belgrade new wave scene had a fairly uniform sound, but since I listened to it for so long, I can hear a lot of varieties. But I understand how it can all sound very similar to someone who's hearing it for the first time, especially since it's so influenced by western new wave and post-punk.
This scene (and its counterparts in Croatia and Slovenia) had a major influence in shaping the rock'n'roll sound in the 80's and 90's, and it still has a cult place in ex-Yu rock history. A certain compilation "Paket Aranzman" (1980) played a great part in it. It compiled songs from three bands Elektricni Orgazam, Sarlo Akrobata and Idoli

I totally forgot to present something from IDOLI, so I'll do it now. They were probably the most popular band from that scene.

"Maljciki" - a satirical song on communist ideals which were in the early 80's, when Tito died, slowly becoming a thing of the past.

I actually found a translation in English in the comment section on You Tube, so that will spare me some time:
Flaming dawns wake me up from my sleep.
Factory mornings - smoke from chimneys
The song echoes on - young workers!
Steely mornings - I'm rushing to my factory.
My comrades, laborous, happy!
They ride bicycles, full of pride!
My comrades, laborous, happy!
New victories we'll achieve!
Sun is shining - the wind whispers.
The morning dew - smell of the land!
Sun is shining - aaaaaaah!
Rich crops - happy I am!
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote