Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
i write lyrics with the intent of supplying the listener or reader with just enough "triggers" that allow for their own imaginations to take the reins when it comes to the produced "meaning." for the most part, i'd rather not talk about what it means to me, because i think having an experience with music doesn't have anything to do with interviewing musicians, and for me to supply the listener with "answers" is not achieving my goal of provoking thought.

all of this is of course not to say that you've failed or misinterpreted the meaning which is in this song. it is what it is, and aside from the fact that your meaning is very similar to mine, there are no right or wrong perspectives, nor can all perspectives be verbatim duplicates of those of the medium through which music comes.

i'm gonna leave this one with some more lyrics, to the song on youtube entitled Spiral Caught:
I understand what you mean, z., when you write that you want the meaning of lyrics to result from the creative combination of the listener and the song, so that the song's meaning is unique to each individual listener. Art is a creative process on both the part of the artist and the viewer/hearer. Your intentions behind songs are less important to you than wanting the songs to take on their own life in someone else's mind.

I agree that there are no right or wrong perspectives on a song's meaning. Though I must admit I'm curious about the meaning you felt when you wrote "Spiral Caught," since this sounds much more to me like a stream-of-consciousness song than a direct, literal one! I should probably try writing a more amorphous song like that, since I usually prefer the "beat-the-listener-over-the-head-with-the-meaning-of-the-song" method.

Here's what I imagine when I read "Spiral Caught.": humanity has a short time-span of existence yet tries to understand more about the universe, such as through space travel, in which we hope to explore a little more of our spiral galaxy and try to understand our place in it, when there really may be no meaning beyind it all.

Either that, or I view the song as being about the complexity of non-linear thought!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 05-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote