Music Banter - View Single Post - Nevermind, let's talk about the same handful of bands that suck ad nauseum
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #259 (permalink)
telepicker
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
To put Nickelback in with Styx, Boston and Journey is outrageous!!! Styx albums such as "The Grand Illusion" and "Pieces of Eight" are the stuff of rock legend!!! Boston`s debut album is possibly one of the great debut albums of the late 70`s period. Journey are another great band with outstanding albums, musicians and talent, none more so than Steve Perry`s voice and Neil Schon`s guitar. Admittedly Foreigner never had the talent of the previous three but still a decent band. To put these bands in with utter crap such as Nickelback is just shameful
nickleback is the Boston of our time.

Journey is the Shinedown.

And Styx are the Train of today.

F*cking horrible.

Dennis DeYoung's voice is like putting my penis on a cheese grater and furiously scraping it across repeatedly. The overly-processed synthesized schlock that Styx churned out on the reg is the crap that gave progressive rock a bad name. "Come Sail Away?". No, thanks - long, boring, and pretentious. "The Grand Illusion?". Sounds like a rejected Freddie Mercury demo. "Mr. Roboto?" No wonder Tommy Shaw quit the band - even he couldn't take the crap anymore.

Boston? I hate the town, first of all. Secondly, they are the poster children for nameless, faceless crappy 70's AOR Arena Rock. They made the template; consequently, it was the band Boston whom Johnny Rotten had in mind when he referenced dinosaurs. Trust me. Besides, is there anything more pretentious than "More Than A Feeling?". **** Boston. Brad Delp is annoying, and Tom Scholtz - meh, as a guitarist. As a songwriter? Uck.

Which brings me to Journey...

Never has there been such a waste of raw musical talent as this band. When Neil Schon and Gregg Rolie left Santana, many thought that the band they put together was going to be awesome. And, truthfully, the first two records (with Aynsley Dunbar on drums - WITHOUT Steve Perry) have their moments of non-suckitude. But then, they decided to hire Steve Perry. Aynsley quit in disgust. So, they get Steve Smith on drums...and he's a badass drummer. But, somehow, the suck quotient went up...until you've such schmaltzy radio-friendly regurgitation like "Wheel In the Sky"..."Lights" is almost earnest enough go pull it off, but misses...finally, when it was Journey: ESCAPE and they had Atari games and stuff...they just sucked. Go look at the video for "Seperate Ways". Listen to the song. It's HORRiBLE. Cheese. Not good processed cheese, either (like Velveeta) - this straight-up stinking green government cheese. The worst.

Like I say, I would rather listen to John Lee Hooker playing one note repeatedly forever than to subject myself to the torture that is called "classic rock radio."

and I hate REOSpeedwagon and .38 Special, too.

Just to be safe.
telepicker is offline   Reply With Quote