Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
haha! i like your method too!
Hmm...if this is really true, zevokes, I think you're in the minority! I'll post lyrics for a song soon that is a pretty good example of my "beating-people-over-the-head" songwriting method. While it's fun for *me* to write such a song, I don't think readers get much joy! One advantage of my method is that people probably know exactly what I'm saying...the disadvantage is that they hate it!

Quote:
you're right about the stream-of consciousness aspect of Spiral Caught. it's quite free.

...outer space is life symbolized, and i and my body and spirit are the craft which Life (an external as well as internal presence) uses to explore itself.

...these words also have largely to do with this human notion that we own things. parts of the universe "belong to us." i don't believe that to be true, and i think when people begin to look at their spouses and their children and their material possessions as beautiful mentionings of Life made by Life, then harmony becomes more possible and fruitful. i think realizing this is a big part in the evolution of the human race.

there are also hints at psychological "instability,"... this is referencing the ego or narcissism boom of the last 20 years. people place their individuality above all else and use their search for independence as the driver of their lives. there is no such thing as independence. ...being that we are a part of that system, i think it's important to not want it to provide for us, as that it selfish and negative.

we too often let our intuition step back while logic and numbers do all the defining of probable outcomes. dreaming is one place where this logic is abandoned and i "argue" that dreaming is one of the human's most important insights into the divine positions of bodies in the universe.

i don't know if any of that made sense. but i gotta jet. early mother's day meeting!

take care.
Thanks for explaining what you were thinking of when you wrote "Spiral Caught."

Everything made sense to me except the last part about dreaming providing important insights into the divine positions of bodies in the universe. I see dreams as outgrowths of brain functions that provide some biological advantages (dreams let our brains learn through non-experienced experiences). It sounds like you see them as having much more significance!

I like the idea of the self/body as vehicles through which life explores itself, and I agree that ownership of anything (and certainly ownership of others) is a facade. Ownership is always temporary, too (such as of a home). I don't put too much value in possessions, but that is also because I have all I need.

Individuality...I hear about cultures that don't view people's individuality as so important, compared to the community or system in which people belong. I know I've definitely wanted to feel like an "individual" and wished to be self-sufficient since relying on others too much can be risky. Having trust in a community feels *very* good, though. For example, I have great neighbors and knowing we watch out for each other is comforting.

I think it is nice if and when one feels one contributes something to "the system" of which we're a part. One of the most depressed times in my life was when I had no job for a year and wasn't going to school and felt unuseful. It is nice to feel one can contribute something. At the same time, I realized it is not healthy to determine self-worth based on one's actions, abilities and contributions.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your song. I like hearing what goes into your song lyrics. I see you doing some things I'd like to do musically and lyrically...be more spontaneous and flexible, for example. So, learning about your process helps me as I think about ways I'd like to change my own. I hope talking about your songs is helpful to you, too!

Have a happy mother's day!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote