Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rap & Hip-Hop Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by james44754 View Post
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a rap-jazz hybrid cause that sounds cool.
Check out ArtOffical as well:

Kenichiro Nishihara does a lot of piano jazz stuff with hip hop collaborators to make some awesome songs. His 2008 debut Humming Jazz was brilliant:

Nujabes (RIP) is another stop you HAVE to make if you're interested in hip hop blended with jazz. Jun Seba was unfortunately involved in a fatal car crash earlier this year which was a major blow to the genre, but I've heard that his latest album will be released postmortem so we'll at least get a chance to hear what he was working on. Here is one his more popular songs as an example:

Following the trend of Japanese artists is Cradle Orchestra whom I found last year. They are very light and easy to get into, which is absolutely perfect for this genre. They're probably my least favorite out of the three (Nujabes and Kenichiro Nishihara), but if you're looking for jazzy styled hip hop then they are definitely worth a look.

Jazz Addixx is another band that fuses the live band elements of a jazz group with DJ's and MC's. Their jazzy style isn't as prominent as with Artofficial, at least not in the horn section, but they are still very much part of this genre and are one of my favorite groups from it.

Lastly is Animate Objects who are a rising band, winning a few awards with their 2007 debut Ridin' In Fast Cars With Your Momma. They were the first jazz hip hop band I actually was sent way back in '08 and I have been spinning it ever since. The album isn't as wild as some of the other groups, but it is sincere and fun to listen to.

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote