Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
well, i don't look at the dreams you have when you are sleeping as significant events which happen on a nightly basis... it's rather the dreams we have when we are children about all the things we want to accomplish. when i was a kid, i wanted to become a firefighter, an astronaut, and nearing my teenage years i wanted to become a lawyer. these dreams were not based on the acquisition of anything material but rather just the prospect of living the experience of saving people from intense situations, seeing earth from not on earth, and using my ability to argue very efficiently to a degree that my parents and grandparents could appreciate.
Ahh..I understand. And I agree with you about the value of having childhood dreams and trying to fulfill them in some ways. I wanted to be a biologist learning more about how life functions...and that's what I became! Not all aspects of the dream were fulfilled, but it was nice to have achieved a little of what I originally hoped to do.

Quote:
Carl Jung (Freud's pupil) developed a system by which we can reference the imagery in our dreams in terms of their archetypal indicators pertaining to the life we lead in three dimensions. i've tried to discount the validity of this "technology," but find that it simply makes too much sense. reality is only as we are capable of perceiving it. our individuality is simply the sum of many circumstances. so our brain creates more refined meaning (only possible in the surreal world) and adds it to familiar or near-inherent imagery in order to tell its own life-driver that changes need to be made or vice versa, in whichever descriptive form it can muster.
Oh! Then you'd probably be interested in a show I watched about dreams. Researchers found common images in dreams. For example, during REM sleep, children commonly dream of fearsome creatures (scary animals)...which is hypothesized to have resulted from such dreams enabling early human children to develop an understanding of what to do when facing *real* predators, thus increasing the children's chance of survival (to pass on the dreaming ability). REM sleep dreams often have negative connotations, as opposed to less memorable dreams that we have during non-REM stages of sleep, which usually feel positive.

I do think that as an adult, my dreams are usually more honest with myself about what I'm happy with or unhappy with in my life, since I (usually) can't control my dreams and ignore certain thought processes as I might when I'm awake.

Quote:
oh, and i should say here (and i might go edit the main message to include this) that my music - particularly the synthetic stuff - is far better if you crank the volume on it.

also, there is low end stuff in there which can't properly present itself at a low volume. some of the bass is situated so as to be felt rather than heard. Amon Tobin introduced me to that idea.
Yes, I know what you mean about bass being felt rather than heard. That is an exhilarating feeling, like when you listen to a parade and you can feel the bass drums of a marching band coming nearer. The thudding inside you gets more and more intense!

A related experience: when I walk underneath a train overpass when the train is rushing overhead with a sort of monstrous power, I like to stand with my eyes closed because the feeling of hearing and feeling all those vibrations is wild and exciting...it feels out of control. If you haven't tried that, z., I recommend it! I find I like electronica that has that same feeling.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 05-09-2010 at 06:55 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote