Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal & Rock Music Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #216 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Okay,I'll try to detail this as best I can.I REALLY like bands like Red,The Letter Black,Saliva(My favorite),and Disturbed.

Give me some music where I'll never get tired of it for a VERY long time.
If you're into Evanescence style of Gothic metal fronted by a soprano female singer with black hair and pale skin then I would suggest trying out Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. Nightwish has more of a symphonic power metal aspect to them and Lacuna Coil has a male singer along to balance out Cristina Scabbia's vocals. Out of Nightwish's discography I would suggest their 2002 album Century Child as your first place to start out. For Lacuna Coil I would recommend their 2002 release Comalies as a start off point.

You may also want to try out the Dutch progressive rock/ alt metal band The Gathering, specifically their album How to measure a planet?. Their vocalist at the time, Anneke van Giersbergen, has some of the nicest clean vocals out of all the female singers I know associated with metal.

If you're feeling experimental then I would suggest checking out the Swedish avant garde metal band Diablo Swing Orchestra. They mix swing and opera with metal to create a really cool sound. Annlouice Loegdlund has some amazing operatic vocals, however they can get a little grating if you're not into that kind of style. If that's the case then I would advise staying away from the 2006 release The Butcher's Ballroom because it was very heavy on the opera styled vocals. Their 2009 follow up Swing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious addressed that issue and toned down the higher pitched vibratos and added a lot more of a heavy guitar sound very similar to Meshuggah's sound. Here's an example from their sophomore album:

As far as bands similar to the other bands you mentioned... it's been so long since I've heard anything by any of those bands that I don't know if I could really recommend something along those lines, but I do have a recommendation if you like Disturbed. The Seattle band Nevermore is a great place to go if you're after heavy music that still employs clean vocals. Their sound is hard to classify because it's a blend of progressive metal, thrash metal, power metal, and a tiny hint of death metal (specifically in the drumming). I would highly recommend their 1996 magnum opus The Politics of Ecstasy but really anything other than their debut is solid in my books. In any case here's a song off of TPoE, enjoy:

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote