Music Banter - View Single Post - Stem Cell Research and YOU!
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
So, there already was a stem cell thread, but that was about politics more than stem cell research in itself. Obama seems more stem cell friendly than his predecessor and although such research goes on in many countries, it's nice to see support for this research again in the US.
As I understand it was that George W. Bushn't was against stem cell research he limited embryonic stem cell research. And it isn't that Obama is friendly towards stem cell research Obama is overturning a limit on embryonic stem cell research, which was put in place for ethical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
If you don't know what stem cell research is, I can do a quick, simplified summary. An embryo in the earliest stages of development is little more than a lump of cells. The cells haven't been given a job yet - and a job could be to be a skin cell, a muscle cell, blood cell, brain cell, liver cell - you get the idea. At that point before the cell has been given a job, it has the potential to become any cell in the body. It is a stem cell. As our bodies develop, we lose our stem cells as they develop into the kind of working cells our bodies consist of. Stem cell research is research into producing such stem cells to use them to replace damaged cells in the body. The best source for such stem cells is aborted fetuses which is where the ethical dilemma comes in.
There are adult stem cells and embryonic stem cell. Human embyonic and aborted fetuses stem cell research is unethical, period. Just because they don't look like a fully formed adult does not mean those experiments does not violate the natural law. From what I heard adult stem cells provide positive results, sceintist really don't need to experiment on human embryos.

Edit: Since you did not differentiate between adult and embryonic stem cell research I wil not vote.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote