Music Banter - View Single Post - The Electronic Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #141 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default Wanted: Crunchy, sinister Dubstep songs

I want to find more purely instrumental, non-dance songs like Eskamon's "Fine Objects": abstract, non-repetitive, crunchy, gritty, menacing, aggressive, solid, and raw, like you're smashing something to smithereens with a large club. Chaotic. I know I don't want a repetitive dance beat or vocals in my ideal dubstep songs.

I've listened through songs in the Dubstep thread, thanks to sidewinder's suggestion, and some more songs by Eskamon (and Amon Tobin and Eskmo), and Cris Clark but I haven't found many songs that have the satisfying heavy, sinister feel I'm searching for, which I especially hear beginning around 0:23 and 1:30 in "Fine Objects."

As another example of what I want (and don't want), I like the menacing sound in "Dark Matter" by Sinister Beats, though I wish it had more bass and I could do without the frilly, repetitive, insipid pitter-pat of rapid drumming. And I like the heavy, sinister feeling of "Venom" (which dieselboy listed in the non-dance electronica thread) except I dislike the woman's voice in the beginning and the drumming gets repetitive, as does the whole song.

Feed me.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-05-2010 at 10:12 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote