Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Default Reviews. Beatles & Beach Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Both are great and both bands had unique talents that worked for them. The Beach Boys had the ability to harmonize beautifully while the Beatles wrote complex instrumental parts. The Beatles always had more intricate bass lines, as Paul McCartney was (and still is) more competent than Brian Wilson was on the bass guitar. Also, the early music of both bands grew out of two completely different genres. The Beach Boys were more influenced by California surf music of the late 50's/early 60's, while the Beatles were heavily influenced by the DIY skiffle music that was popular among the working class people in England.
I like your short review on the subject, I dont know if I agree that McCartney is all that more competent on bass guitar than Wilson was, I always thought McCartney was a little overrated as an accomplished bass player in my book when holding in consideration to the level of talented bassist from that era, Although..I will admit that I may be a little bias with my opinion, since I almost always support the 'underdog'. I have a friend from Iowa that thinks George Harrison is it! when it comes to guitarist, and I really respect this guys opinion, hell he is an unknown muti talented artist in his own right, the only point I am trying to suggest is, I just dont believe that the Beatles were all that much more talented as musicians, when compared to the musical talent of the Beach Boys, I will conclude that the Beatles had Mccartney & Lennon both on the same team which is the only real advantage the Beatles did have over the BBs. I would have to hear more detailed facts about the music & history of these two bands before I could state an honest opinion myself. Realisticly...I would not be surprised if the Beatles are the most talented, Its just something I will have to find out for myself when the time permits itself for me to be able to review the subject. Whos albums are listend to the most by the masses, who gets the most airtime & play, I suggest a 'Tie' between both bands, The Beatles cant win by Hands Down, or by the phrase- "I cant believe its even a question in your mind" -statement, What are some of the statictics, facts and of course personal opinions as always, All is open for debate

Last edited by Necromancer; 05-10-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I JUST FUNKING WANTED TO!
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote