Music Banter - View Single Post - Stem Cell Research and YOU!
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneHugo View Post
Definitely this x100000. Safe sex needs to be fuc‎king PREACHED in schools today.
Agreed, Octane! I feel people shouldn't fear knowledge but, rather, should be afraid of ignorance about a subject. I am always surprised that there are still people who don't want kids to know how to follow safer sex practices.

Quote:
Wait a second. Since when can you compare an embryo to a fully grown person? Regardless of whether or not the person is dying, it's a conscious, thinking, matured human being. An embryo isn't. And now we're entering the dreadful gray area.
Well, I was playing Devil's advocate there. However, there *are* fully grown people who are no longer substantially aware of what is going on, and thus might be considered equivalent to an embryo in terms of sentience.

The clearest example would be a brain-dead person. Many but not all people feel it is okay to harvest their organs, since the hope of recovery is slight. But what if someone is in a coma? When do you decide it is ethical to harvest *her* organs?

Now, back to embryos, some people may feel it is wrong to kill a tiny individual and would ask instead that we wait until that individual is mature enough to make her or his own decisions about when to become an organ and tissue donor.

The basic question surrounding our treatment of embryos and birthed humans is how do we decide when we should keep our hands off them. And then the next question becomes this: once someone has decided to kill them, what is the right thing to do with their bodies?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote