Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #445 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

No no no no no! Please don't close this thread! This is a great thread! It's lots of fun...for me, at least. Also, AwwSugar and I still haven't had our ovo-lactovegetarian/vegan "fight"....yet.

I agree with AwwSugar that this thread serves a purpose...the sharing of people's real feelings on a contentious topic. I'm not offended by the direction the debates take, especially since I have already experienced quite frequently in non-internet life what we sometimes see here as people's satisfied ignorance, disdain, and a desire to show their feelings by acting out (pretending to want to hurt animals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I think it should stay if there are people here actually discussing and are interested in it but if it continues to be derailed by trolling, ignorance, insults and general stupidity then its not worth the hassle. I think it should either stay on topic and produce some intelligent discussion, or at least as intelligent as public forums go, or go the journey.
Since people have very different ethical views and background knowledge about eating animals, I don't expect the conversation to avoid sometimes dealing with questions for which (I think) the answers should be obvious, mojo.

For example, in this thread a vegan said that eating meat isn't "natural" and a meat-eater said "meat is essential." These are (incorrect) viewpoints common to both "camps," and so I think this thread is a good place for people to state what they believe so that others can point out errors or offer alternative viewpoints.

So, please don't close the thread due to people's ignorance! And frankly, "sticks and stones and knives and chains and saws can break animals' bones, but words can never hurt them."

So here's a question for those of you who eat meat: given that meat is not a physiological necessity...and so you are supporting people killing animals unnecessarily...does it make a difference to you whether people kill the animal for fun sport (bullfighting, sport fishing, songbird target practice) vs. for fun food (tasty pizza toppings, mouth-watering burgers, tender fish)?

If you are willing for animals to suffer to allow you to eat them (when you don't need to), shouldn't you also be willing for animals to suffer to provide humans with fun in other ways (say, killing animals to get "revenge" on vegans)? The animal ends up dead either way, so why do people's motivations for killing the animal matter?

I've seen people pick up fish and bury them alive for fun, and no animal *likes* to asphyxiate. Is this any worse or better than fishing with the intent of eating the animal? Livestock animals suffer all the time due to human choices. Is this fundamentally any different than people intentionally causing animals to suffer for fun?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote