Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the general consensus on Mike Patton here?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I agree with much of what has been said here. I've been a Patton fan since I first saw Faith No More's 'Epic' video on MTV about 20 years ago. Then I discovered Mr. Bungle, then his other side projects and so on. At one time I definitely had the fanboy attitude of "Everything Mike Patton touches turns to gold." But then I heard Adult Themes for Voice.

What I always liked about him was not just his voice (though he is definitely my favorite vocalist) but also that his projects were experimental in nature, kinda wacky and different. I always look forward to new projects coming out, but over the years the wow factor has faded a bit. I'm sure some of it has to do with aging and being less creative, but also that I'm used to his voice and it's just not as impressive as it used to be (age again can be a factor here). It seems he either sings the way you expect him too (not really anything wrong with that - unless it's a new project in which it might be nice to hear a new approach) or he over-sings (Mondo Cane, to an extent).

Still I'm a big fan, but have come to terms with the reality that everything he touches does not in fact turn to gold. I yearn for something truly different again. I'd love to hear more Tomahawk (just lighter on the Indian themes, please), as the rock-based stuff I think is where he shines. There's more emotion and less chance of over-singing (ie crooning). I'd love another Lovage album, but it could end up on the level of Peeping Tom (good but not great). I'd love another Peeping Tom (there was supposed to be two), but it could wind up as tame as the first.

General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners - didn't do much for me really, though I should give it another chance
Kaada / Patton - This was pretty good but doesn't really have much replay value.
Maldoror - terrible
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony Is a Dead Scene - awesome.
Fantômas - Love Director's Cut, rest is ok
A Perfect Place OST - A little underwhelming and short but not bad
Crank: High Voltage OST - This was actually a nice surprise, nice experimentalism and craziness, too bad it's a bunch of short tracks that aren't more developed.

Faith No More are one of the few reunion bands that I'd like to see record new material. At the same time, it scares me a little. I just feel like that's all I ever really wanted out of Mike Patton - for him to rock and spazz out once in a while.

Last edited by sidewinder; 05-12-2010 at 07:23 PM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote