Music Banter - View Single Post - If you choose not to read these reviews, you still have made a choice...Rush Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Hemispheres (1978)

A lot of times when a band releases a really great album, it is easy to get this feeling that they just won't be able to top it with their next one. Rush, however, always made it a point to keep moving. Every album showed progress and growth and each subsequent album followed a very natural progression. In the late 70's, they got so good at this progression and change that nearly everything they touched was pure gold. Though “Hemispheres” has a sound very similar to “A Farewell to Kings”, it very subtly hints at albums to come.

Sure, there is still a giant 20 minute epic as the first track out of only 4, but it is “The Trees” that really foreshadows the pop structured songs Rush will be writing from here on out. Without a doubt, that is the highlight of this album. Maybe the subject matter is a little bit cheesy (trees used as a metaphor for the rise of communism), but the music is just ridiculously creative and intriguing. With this song alone, it is clear Rush is able to write shorter songs with the potential for being radio hits. The other shorter song, “Circumstances”, is another solid attempt at a traditionally structured song and fits into the album nicely, but it doesn't hold a candle to “The Trees”.

So, maybe Rush isn't so progressive after this album. “Hemispheres” is still balls deep in progressive rock, so I think I better mention it. In fact, this album really could be considered the pinnacle of their progressive attempts (which may be why they decide to totally change it up with their next album). “Cygnus X-1: Book II” has one of the most clever tie ins to another song I've ever seen. At first, it seems it has absolutely no relation to “Cygnus X-1: Book I” off their last album as it goes into Greek mythology and the latter is completely science fiction. However, if you pay close attention, you will notice that at the end of the song our black hole traveling hero from Book I emerges, having become disembodied and is now considered a god, even amongst those at Olympus! Pretty clever twist, Rush. I won't mention any more of the story since it is fun to figure out what is happening on your own. The only issue I have is that this is probably the only Rush epic that I actually get bored with. Right around the 12 minute mark I start wondering when the thing is going to be over. It is still entertaining, and I can still listen to the whole thing through, but this is the only epic Rush has written that gets me checking the time.

Rush's time as a pure and true prog band concludes with their first instrumental. And oh, is it a fitting conclusion. “La Villa Strangiato” is one of my favorite songs ever by any band. Starting off nice and slow, it slowly builds until it smacks you straight in the face with some of the best instrument interplay ever crafted. It gets fast, it gets slow, it rocks, it gets emotional...this song has it all. All I can say is you are doing yourself an incredible disservice by not listening to this song at least once in your life. If I had to point to one musical moment in Rush's back catalog thus far proving their prowess, this song would be at the top of my list. Just freaking listen to it.

So what does the final album is Rush's epic years get? I'll give this one a 9/10. It lost a point just because “Cygnus X-1: Book II” got me checking my watch on occasion. Their last epic ever shouldn't have done that. You'll notice 9/10 is still a very high score. Yes, that is because you need to listen to this album. So listen to it. Now.

Sadly, I couldn't find a studio version of "La Villa Strangiato", so you get a live version. Maybe this will motivate you to go get the album.