Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the general consensus on Mike Patton here?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That said, the man has released a lot of great stuff over the course of his career and in my mind that includes Peeping Tom. I'm surprised by all the hate on that one.
i think a lot of the disdain towards this project is due to the ridiculous potential the collaborations it contained presented and ultimately failed at providing. Patton and Tobin should have been awesome i was SO stoked to hear what kind of awesome those two could put together, i was NOT expecting them to take a tag team dump in my ears.

that, and the whole press leading up to the release about how this was Patton's 'pop' album, how he was going to show the mainstream how it was supposed to be done. yeah that didn't reek of pretentiousness, or come across as dated - like someone who's lost touch with the pulse of the mainstream they were purportedly to 'educate'.

on top of all that the album does open with a good track (5 seconds), it did leave me wanting more, until the rest started, it's only again on the very last track (we're not alone) that i found myself interested again. everything else sandwiched between those tracks is lame, it all comes across the same way, there's a little uniqueness right at the start while the collaborator establishes a style then they're Patton-ified the same way, some nasal singing run through a few effects over and over and over.

it's not like he was incapable of doing something interesting as proven on the two tracks i noted earlier but for whatever reason everything in the middle feels forced, half baked, unfinished, and just slapped together for no other reason than being able to have a who's who of collaborator's on the track listing instead of having a collection of great tracks from a small handful of like minded people. it starts with a bang and ends with one too, but accomplishes absolutely nothing between those points, and that to me is why PT is such a huge letdown as an album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote