Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #1350 (permalink)
+81
Rats off to ya!

Abdullah424 sent me…

Score! 20 Years of Merge Records. The Covers!

To celebrate Merge Records 20th anniversary, the label compiled a collection of songs by Merge artists covered by non-Merge indie artists. I know most of the names here but I’m only familiar with a handful of the bands’ being covered; therefore, I can’t really compare them to the originals. Starting off the album with the sound of their signature overdriven keyboard, is a band I truly enjoy; Quasi. Them, along with Les Savy Fav, rock through the first couple tracks to set the pace. The Shins keep the vibe but replace the electric guitars with some acoustics that compliment the song's upbeat tempo and vocal melody that really carries the song. St. Vincent and The National combine their vocal talents to coolly deliver their quite chill track. The next track is introduced by the voice of a child before Broken Social Scene jump in with a fast paced drum beat and a barrage of guitars. The Bright Eyes track I found to be my least favourite but the Hawaiin-esque reverb laden lead guitar was quite enjoyable. The energy picks up with a synthy pop cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's The Kind of Carrot Flower's Part 3 (one of the few originals on here I've heard before) by The Apples in Stereo. (I'm beginning to bore of writing this...). Some more songs happen, some good, some very mediocre.

To sum up, this is a very indie album for indie fans of indie bands covering indie bands.

+81 is offline   Reply With Quote