Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #493 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Vegangelica, do you consider it morally wrong to kill animals only when the being doing the killing is intelligent enough to make a moral choice? How do you feel about carnivorous animals?

Again...apologies if this or something like it has been asked before.
You are correct...I only feel one animal killing another is morally wrong when I consider the one doing the action to be a "moral agent," capable of knowing or understanding that other beings have sensations, and capable of understanding the concepts of right and wrong.

So, for example, if a young human child commits a crime I do not hold her as morally responsible as when an adult human commits that same crime.

When a lion kills a gazelle, I *wish* that the lion didn't *have* to kill the gazelle to survive. I usually describe this predator/prey situation as "good for the lion and horrible for the gazelle." But I don't think the lion is acting immorally, because I don't think the lion's brain structure allows it to have a very strong concept of moral behavior as it pertains to prey animals.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote