Music Banter - View Single Post - Stem Cell Research and YOU!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #50 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Here you are making up an imaginary argument which I have never actually promoted. I believe the term is "strawmanning"? I have never claimed that fetuses are not human or that there is a threshhold one crosses in development where you suddenly deserve to be treated as a human .. It's painfully obvious you haven't read the post I referred you to.
It's not a strawman, I never insist that you said something, actuaclly I said "it sounds like.." and I am only trying to understand your reason for opposing me about human life before birth. And it comes from statements like this:

Quote:
So what if a fetus has human DNA? How does that make it deserve to be treated with the same moral consideration you'd have for the average grown-up?
Quote:
If you want to argue against my moral views on stem cell research, at least get the right ones! Good on you for dodging those difficult questions, though
It's painfully obvious you haven't read my post, either, if you read what I wrote you should know I've mentioned adult stem research. Since I mentioned adult stem research, why would I argue against stem research?

Quote:
I believe I already explained why one "has" to research embryonic stem cells so I won't bother repeating myself. As for the starting off with an unethical act, I think that since the decision to abort and the decision to research are two independent decisions, one shouldn't morally affect the other. If researchers were asking people to do abortions so that they could research the fetuses, then I think your criticism would be justified. Since they don't, I really think you should treat the abortion part and the research part morally independent of eachother.
I can not agree with you on that point, they are related, because the researcher would not have the opportunity to research the human cells taken from human fetuses without that act happening in the first place. There was a similar problem this reminds me of that happened in the 19th century:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "wiki'
From 1827 to 1828 in Scotland, murders were carried out, so that the bodies could be sold to medical schools for cash. These were known as the West Port murders. The Anatomy Act of 1832 was formed and passed because of the murders.
Quote:
To extrapolate the kind of view you seem to be promoting, it would be unethical to study a thousands of years old mummy if it's death way back then was by torture.
That analogy doesn't make sense, why would they cruelly torture a king and then very carefully and reverently perserve him forever by mummifying him?

Quote:
Put in practical terms, I think you should forget the abortions and then focus on whether the research is unethical or not.
It is the very fact that the scientist and researchers forgets the abortions that makes it unethical.

Wether it's ethical or not, you know where I stand, I'm against stem cell research that involves human emrbyos and human fetuses that were aborted.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote