Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bass thread
Thread: The Bass thread
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 AM   #229 (permalink)
My Mind Sedate
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
^ Thanks for the advice Yeah I think getting something second hand would be much better but I'm failing to find anything appropriate in terms of second hand gear. I've looked on tradingpost.com.au and there's absolutely nothing on there... and I'm always weary of ebay too because I like picking things up in person. Australia is a pretty big country so it's hard to find someone selling from somewhere where you can pick it up or have it delivered without huge costs! So second hand might not be an option... it's also going to take me a little while to save up a comfortable amount and second hand things are hit or miss, whereas most stores usually have standard P basses in stock. I've checked out that bass center website before too, most of the second hand basses on there are pretty pricey though, but I haven't looked for a while so I might go have another look.

Apart from Fender precisions is there any other particular models you would recommend for somebody who isn't a beginner but isn't a pro either? I like the sound of the p basses.

And so you think Mexican Fenders are not worth getting? Because there is quite a huge difference in the price between American and Mexicxan...
No worries.

Yeah the eternal struggle of finding the perfect second hand bass.... I've been there many times, it requires almost inhuman patience and diligence.

I would recommend Japanese Fenders/Squiers or lawsuit era Japanese copies (such as Ibanez basses from the 70s) if you still want to dig around in the second hand market. But in terms of new basses, I have played a few Mexican Fenders, although they can hold their own, they are not worth the money that you have to pay for. I have heard great reviews of the Squier Modified 70's Jazz bass, maybe you should check those out... Ibanez always has a great range of affordable and good quality basses, but most models have really modern sounds which you may not be too happy with. But the truth of the matter is that any bass with two pick ups (meaning neck and bridge) is able to produce is a precision-esque tone.

Hope that helps.
My Mind Sedate is offline   Reply With Quote