Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Local Bands
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #111 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

When referring to a music scene in Myrtle Beach, it's more of a "lack thereof" situation. I've been playing music in this town for almost 13 years, and I've seen a lot of bands of all genres come and go. It's not really the people's fault, either. Well, partially it is.

Myrtle Beach isn't really set up physically to be the kind of place where young people can walk around, exchange ideas and create an artistic identity. Myrtle Beach and it's suburbs are kind of like one moderately-sized city stretched out over about 20 miles of coastline. There's not really a center. There is a five points district, but it's tiny and only has a couple of clubs that are worth playing, and they're both small (50-200 people).

The people who will never give up on the scene are the little hope that the local scene has, and there are a lot of people who I respect and love here, but they are not the majority. The majority of people in Myrtle Beach are, for lack of better words, "preppies" or "fashion whores". Canned music dance clubs are what's bigger here. It's basically disco town; get drunk, buy shit and fuck strange ass. If that's what you're into, I don't give a shit, but I'm looking for something more, and that's basically why we're packing up our gear and heading out west the Austin, Texas.