Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #2102 (permalink)
Solust
Groupie

Default I'm in need of recommendation of many various genres.

I've listened to various sub-genres of metal almost exclusively (99% or more) for the past 15 or 16 months. Every time I get something that isn't metal it doesn't last in my library for a long enough time to be significant and I never miss it.

I'm looking for people who are well versed in genres that aren't metal to introduce me to (or, preferably, throw me into the deep end of) those genres so that I can expand my currently narrow tastes in music.

I like unconventional song structures (ie. not verse, chorus, verse, etc.), talented instrumentalists and vocalists (including range, vibrato, note holding, emotion, harsh vocals [though harsh vocals not at all necessary]) that don't abuse their talent to the point of excess, and variation in styles between albums (between songs in albums too, but not quite as much; I'd like a bit of consistency).

The only definitive requirements I have are:
No autotune. I can tell when autotune is used and I don't like it.
Material must be released in the format of albums, for sheer ease of access.
I must be able to hear the instruments being played. The production can be of low quality, but as long as I can hear the notes being played at least a little bit I'm fine (for example, the production of early Burzum is just fine). I also don't want clipping, because that's just annoying.

A few of my favourites in metal:
Devin Townsend and all his various side projects
Pain of Salvation
Cormorant
Death
Lykathea Aflame
Anaal Nathrakh
Manowar
Burzum
In Mourning

The <1% of my library that isn't metal is The Balancing Act by Sadistik.

With all that in mind, I'd like recs now. Rock, Electro, Folk, Classical, punk, or anything else that anyone can think of.

I thank everyone who attempts to satiate my desires of expansion in advance.
Solust is offline   Reply With Quote