Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #161 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Great bit about Patsy Cline you got there! I love reading member's journals where the writer adds personal experience into the mix, and you do it so well. Love this journal!

Anyway, I've been a fan of Patsy Cline for a little bit now, and I can definitely say she's been something of a gateway artist to get me to listen to a little more country. She really does have such a warm, beautiful voice that she can turn a song with even the simplest lyrics into something amazing. Have you heard of ever heard of Gillian Welch? (I'm sure you have, as I've seen her name floating around these boards quite a bit lately...) She also has a warm, down home voice reminiscent of alot of country songs from the same era. I think you'd like her alot (if you don't already!)
YouTube - Gillian Welch - Paper Wings (w/ Lyrics)
YouTube - Gillian Welch - One More Dollar
Well thank you, I'm always glad to hear from you. No actually I have never even heard of Gillian Welch before, and I'm really glad you brought her to my attention. Paper Wings was something else. I could really hear that old country influence but incorporating that jazzy feel made it sound fresh, you know. I really liked it. One More Dollar wasn't bad either, but in my humble opinion it almost came off like she was trying a little too hard. Probably is just me and what I've been used to hearing. Loved Paper Wings though, I really appreciate you bringing her up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushedblind View Post
perfectly put

one thing i really like about classic country is there's always a good story behind every song---like patsy not liking crazy!

you probably already know of kitty wells (if not check her out) but her and patsy kind of portray the same likeness

anyway--this song kitty recorderd (and patsy would later go on to record) was put out as an answer to a hank tompson song (it's pretty cool if you read them side by side).

both versions are great!! (im kinda partial to kitty though)

waylon and jessi later went on to do a sort of dueling duet thing with the songs

Crushedblind, I sure am glad you joined the forum, you are speaking my language sir. Yes I know Kitty Wells and I do appreciate her music and sound. But what I've heard of hers tends to run a little more on the gospel side of country and thats always kind of put me off because I've never been a fan of that. Maybe I'm just not listening to the right stuff of hers. I'll check out that version though, it might change my mind.

Yeah, I bet Patsy has probably had to sing Crazy a few million times more than she has wanted to. Its still a damn good song though and yes, my hero Willie Nelson wrote it for her. His version isn't too shabby. But then again he can do no wrong in my eyes. Making an exception for the Toby Keith duet. Christ.

Anyway, awesome job pointing out these songs and how they answered each other like that. Glad to see you like Waylon and Jessi too. I've always been a massive Waylon Jennings fan, but you could take or leave Jessi. As a vocalist she is sub par. I've always thought she just rode in on Waylon's coattails. If it hadn't been for him and her shacking up I don't think we would have ever even heard of her name today. But I gotta give her credit, landing Waylon Jennings, she must have been doing something right.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote