Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #157 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

So, while the schedule's cleared up a bit, I still haven't had enough free time to get any album reviews done, and won't do for a while so, as per my promise, I'm gonna chuck a quick book review in here in the mean time...

Complicated Shadows (2004)
by Graeme Thomson

I won't go on too long, as I can't really be bothered to, but I'll just say that this is far and away the best unofficial biography of the man you'll find, and an absolute essential for fellow nutjobs like myself. Very thorough and really well-researched book, featuring interviews with the likes of Bruce Thomas (Costello's bassist in the Attractions), producer Clive Langer, a few of Costello's buddies in the media and so many others. While it's not quite up there with the brutally honest No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon for example, it's certainly among the best rock biographies I've read. Pivotally, it's not just a collection of statistics and albums reviews like a lot of lesser books I've read of this ilk, but instead goes out of its way to tell a pretty interesting story. Also, what makes this as interesting a read as it is, is that it doesn't fall into the trap of being too opinionated or, indeed, painting the picture of some kind of angel who did absolutely no wrong to anyone in his life. Elvis Costello, of course, was a very flawed person, at least back when he was a compulsive alcoholic and drug addict, and parts of this book do paint the picture of quite a nasty, angry guy. He's clearly mellowed out with maturity, but back in the day this was the case, all of which makes for a great read.

So, yeah, highly recommended stuff. Something that both the hardcore fans and more casual ones can appreciate.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote