Music Banter - View Single Post - Is electronic/dance music an acquired taste?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I don't think Electronic music is so much an acquired taste as much as it is a genre that most people are completely ignorant about.
Most of these people you speak of, IWP, are people who think of Electronic music (for which they just call "techno") as 4-to-the-floor boom boom boom with high pitched squeal noises and a dude repeating a vocal over and over. They only know what mass media shows them, and it's usually the crappiest, most stereotypical Electronic music there is.
Those people rarely know about the diversity and skill and creativity available below the surface of the garbage they're exposed to. They probably couldn't name more than 4 sub-genres of Electronic. And unfortunately, these people are the ones you'll run into most.

I've been listening to Electronic for over 14 years and the stuff available under this genre is so vast and different and unexpected in all its different forms that I really can't believe that it's all an acquired taste just because it's created electronically.
I think people should do a little more research and spend a little more time and effort getting beyond this readily available crap that's shat out into visibility by default and they'll probably realize that the only thing that was an acquired taste was the garbage they've been force-fed all these years.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote