Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #477 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Yea you picked single channel. You'll need your additional RAM to be single channel as well.
The implications, well... assuming your motherboard supports DDR2, which it should if it came out any time in the last 5 or 6 years, if you had two sticks of DDR2 in the proper configuration, your RAM's data rate is significantly increased and both sticks work in tandem to handle the workload. You get better performance with DDR2, plain and simple.
But yea, just buy another of the same stick and plug it in. 3 gigs is better than 2. You'll notice a performance increase for sure.

I don't want to get into processors or anything, but if you ever consider a processor upgrade or even a mobo upgrade, I can help.

As far as your mono clips...
Recording a mono source into a stereo channel effectively does what you're doing manually, except you won't have to worry about duplicating and positioning between the two. I find that there are scenarios where I'll do that, like if I want two completely different effects on the same source so that each clip is effectively different...
But if you're going for an actual stereo sound without effects, you're far better off recording two mono versions separately and wide panning them. The differences in each clip is what makes the space and wide positioning apparent. Not the fact that there are two of the same thing in each ear.

Again, I don't know what you're going for but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote