Music Banter - View Single Post - Music from EX Yugoslavia
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Well Yugoslavia's government was always more tolerant compared to that of other communist countries. .... Laibach's concerts were banned and their name was forbidden because it was the name of Ljubljana (the capital of Slovenia) during the Nazi occupation. Laibach was the most radical band in music, massages and image. They were toying with a fascist and other totalitarian imagery trying to show that it's all the same thing. Naturally, it was very disturbing for communists, especially when they see that they share many similar traits with their mortal enemies, the fascists.
Thanks for the insights, dankstra. I like how music can unite people and raise awareness. I'd say the U.S. has also transitioned away from greater oppression to quite a lot of free speech, which is wonderful. The sign of a strong government is one that allows and even encourages criticism and handles it openly, rather than trying to squelch it.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote