Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #202 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
Thanks for that, Veg, that's a good one. The only thing is (and maybe it's just the way I'm reading it or something): you're saying that these people are controlling manipulative killers, but then you say they think they're sheep, that seems contradictory to me.
Thanks for reading, Sljsljslj.

The song "Country" is about the contrast between how *I* view the people (my relatives) who scare, raise, and kill animals as part of their country lifestyle (I see them as "controlling manipulative killers," like you wrote), and how *they* view *themselves*. They view themselves as good Christian sheep following Jesus, who, of course, asked for people to be merciful and kind, which they are not toward the creatures over whom they have dominion. They see nothing wrong with how they treat animals. They could slice the throat of a lamb, or shoot a songbird out of a tree for fun, without a flinch of guilt or self-questioning.

Quote:
Also, eating meat does have many positives, the problem is the amount at which we consume animals in this country.
I agree eating meat does have positives (it *is* nourishment and it can taste good), and that people in this country consume far too many animals. Where you and I probably differ is that I feel the issue of raising and killing animals is an ethical issue (I see it as ethically wrong). I think that you don't have the same negative response I do to people killing even just one pig or cow or chicken.

Quote:
Damn, I wish I could collaborate on a song like this with you, we could make something great. (I hope you don't find that statement "stalkerish" haha.)
Keep writing, Vegangelica....
No no...not stalkerish! Much. I think we have anger in common...though we may not be angry about all the same things! I think our anger comes out differently in our lyrics, too. Yours sound to me to be very spontaneous and expressive (with all the expletives). To me, my lyrics sound very controlled with the anger somewhat contained, since I'm not being spontaneous with the structure of my lyrics.

I don't know which is scarier: an anger that flares out? Or a cold, controlled anger mixed with hurt, which is mine. I've been meaning to write some more spontaneous lyrics that I don't brood over as much, picking each word. So, I think I would probably benefit from some of the freedom that I see you have with your lyrics.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote