Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone play guitar left handed on a right handed guitar any advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyshape View Post
I recently received an acoustic guitar from my brother. It is stringed for some one right handed however and I am left handed. So I decided I will try learning to play acoustic guitar upside down. Now I want to make this clear this thread isn't about how this is a bad decision and it isn't worth doing and or how I can restring it to be lefty. I simply want to know if anyone on music banter knows of any people who play like this or do so themselves and offer me some of their experience.
i've only ever seen one guy do it. was a friend of my best friend's older brother's friends back in the mid 90s haha. this is actually one of the first times i've thoroughly disagreed with everything GB said also (nothing personal )

it's great if you're ambidextrous and can flip back and forth but it's not really any harder to learn your chords upside down that it is to learn them the traditional way. it might result in odd finger stretches for certain passages though. i remember the guy in question saying it wasn't really any more difficult once you'd practiced to a point of being able to switch chords smoothly, then again he stuck to more singer songwriter styles, nothing too complicated.

the biggest hassle i can think of would be trying to learn more technical covers. learning to strum basic chords shouldn't be an issue but something with more demanding melodic passages might be harder since you would have to reach further around the neck for most accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote