Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 AM   #338 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
To Australians and New Zealanders! In winter (right now I assume?) Do you's get shorter days? Like winter here, it's dark until about 9am, then is light until about 5pm-ish? Do you guys get that? Also how cold is really cold for Australia? and how warm is really warm for NZ ?
It really depends where you are, Australia is a huge country so the climate varies from place to place.

Yes, our days get shorter in Winter.

I live in Melbourne, which is the most temperate city. REALLY cold for us would be around 5-10 degrees C during the day. During the nights it gets much colder though.

Really warm for New Zealand would probably be around 30 degrees. But it depends where you are again. The South Island is very cold and would probably never hit those temperatures like the North Island. Auckland (the biggest city in NZ) is actually quite warm. It is actually warmer than Melbourne, Australia during most of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Kayleigh, (not an actual answer to your question but) I heard NZ gets really cold during their winter, I had a friend I used to talk to and she hated the NZ winters. And the middle of Austalia is unbearablely hot.
Where abouts in NZ did your friend live? Because like I said, while I was living in Auckland, I found that my hometown (Melbourne, Australia) is MUCH colder than Auckland. Our winters are quite a lot colder than Auckland's. If you look at a map, Melbourne is further south than Auckland. So it really depends where you are. The South Island of NZ is very cold in Winter but still not as cold as Scotland :P

So ultimately it depends where you are in each country. Melbourne is further away from the equator so we have hotter summers but much colder winters than New Zealand. Sydney's climate is pretty similar to Auckland's. And Adelaide, Brisbane, and Perth are all quite hot. And the middle of Australia is damn bloody hot but you'd only go there for sightseeing because there's nothing there.