Music Banter - View Single Post - Why message boards go down hill.
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #153 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I don't really use Musicbanter for discussing music anymore because whenever I check on the latest discussions, there's almost never anything about the stuff I personally care about. Although I still consider myself young (not even 30!), my tastes are perhaps a bit old compared to most and I don't think many here are passionate about the same music I am passionate about. Or maybe people are, but those topics just don't come up as often?

Anyways, I feel like I've been getting less and less from MusicBanter as a place to discuss music. Most of my posts lately seem to be about diets, scientific topics, politics and the like.

I hope you guys won't interpret this as a mere "whine"! Musicbanter as a place to discuss philosophy and so on is still interesting enough for me to hang around. I'm just wondering if someone else feels the same? Aside from review threads, there's little of what I think of as real discussions on music. F.ex posting about the size of your media library is not, I think. Neither are threads where people just post youtube videos or post about their latest album aquisition.

So, is it just me?
The problem with fairly subjective topics like music is that they offer only so much room for discussion. You can attempt to put your passion for it into words and hope that anyone reading can translate it back again and strongly agree/disagree given that it applies to them. And if your niche is older music, that eliminates a lot of prospective topics such as anticipation of upcoming albums/concerts and band news etc. If you then account for the fact that in many cases, average modern albums are more likely to garner interest/discussion than good albums from the past (sacred cows excluded) and then account for the fact that people are time-constrained/lazy or feel what they have to say is inadequate, it becomes apparent why these threads aren't too busy. I think it comes down to the fact that serious music discussion with its pre-requisites demands a great time input.

I agree that youtube, media library, last.fm and latest album acquisition threads are the more petty spammy ones which don't tend to constitute real discussion. I'm guilty of posting in those threads more than I should, especially when I have a latent KC review thread waiting for me. I'm putting off doing any reviews until the hols though.

I realise that this post came out sounding somewhat negative, but I don't mean it to be.