Music Banter - View Single Post - Why message boards go down hill.
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #160 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
It seems a significant portion of the people I have musical interests in common with have left the forums and they're not being replaced with new regulars. As an example, I would like to put some effort into making a Canterbury thread, but I fear it wouldn't generate much interest at all. That doesn't have to be because of lazyness, it's just a niche category with a relatively few amount of followers. We can't all like the same thing .. There used to be people here who would get excited about such a thread, but most of them disappeared.
I know where you're coming from, as I certainly get the feeling that I don't exactly see eye-to-eye with a lot of people in a musical taste sense here myself. I don't really think I ever have, and that's not me trying to be a hipster or anything, but more a way of saying that I guess it depends how you use this place. I personally only use MB as a place to bring up music in a way that real life doesn't let me, seeing as it's very hard to find people who don't use music forums who have even slightly similar tastes to me. As far as that goes, I don't think this place will ever exhaust itself with me...at least as long as I keep feeling as passionate about music as I do. I do agree that it's definitely a pain in the arse if you wanna educate people around here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I feel as if when people remember the good old days they remember brutal in fighting and mean and slightly humerous personal attacks. take this how you'd like but those are squashed before they even erupt these days. Maybe fighting drives people off, who knows.
Yeah, I get that feeling too, and I do remember it vaguely. I did join up around the time there was still the odd bit of that going on, back when Cobe Kai came here and Lucifer Sam would, frankly, have a tendency to act like a bit of a prick, and so on. I guess those things do liven up the boards and so on but, the fact is, there aren't even a lot of particularly abrasive people joining MB these days. About 99% of the posts I delete and bannings I give out are just for people who can't read the rules spamming some crap or other.

In that sense, yeah, I guess it a bit quieter these days, but even in its quieter moments MB is a much, much more active message board than a lot that I've ever seen. For example, I used to be a member of David Bowie's official fan board, which requires a paid subscription, and even that was dead compared to here. I got the feeling people only really post there in the that hope the man himself reads and replies to one of their posts.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote