Music Banter - View Single Post - Best First Time Listen Albums
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Default Best First Time Listen Albums

As usual, apologies if this has been done before.

Post albums that blew you away straight from the first listen.

Here's a few of mine:

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

I had no clue what to expect when I bought this album. I had seen a few positive comments here and there on the internet and I liked the artwork but I really had no clue what to expect. From the very first song, I knew I had found one of my new favorite albums. Sadly, the Mars Volta have not topped this one in my opinion, but they still put out great music.

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

The only song I was familiar with before picking this one up was "Iceblink Luck", which honestly sounded like a better than average 80's hit. Still, I had known of their reputation and decided any band that gets that much praise deserves a listen from me. I went for Heaven or Las Vegas first, and was completely blindsided. I did not expect music of this intense quality...I hungrily devoured the rest of their discography and proudly count them as one of my favorite bands of all time.

Swirlies - They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons

I was in a real 90's guitar mood, did some searching around, and saw a few mentions about the Swirlies. I checked them out on Youtube and was impressed enough to check them out, but didn't expect to be blown away. I got this album and soon found out this is the kind of band whose songs need to be heard in the context of an album...from start to finish the creativity they show on guitar is just amazing.

And my most recent first time listen great:

Bethany Curve - You Brought Us Here

I knew it was going to be shoegaze, so I figured I would like it at least a little. I really just wanted a new shoegaze band to listen to, found these guys, got the album, and went about my business. I subsequently stopped everything I was doing and was sucked into the dreamy ether that is a Bethany Curve song. Just wow.