Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Does....
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

One of the great empires to come from the underground rap scene has been the union of MF Doom/Prince Paul and everyone that comes with it; Dan the Automater, Princess Superstar, and my favorite MC Paul Barman.

As someone who doesn't take much seriously, and thinks its a fine way to go through life, I really enjoy people who can pull off putting their own ridiculous personality into their work. Tracks like "Vulture Shark Scuplture Park", "Anarchist Bookstore part 1", and "Bleeding Brain Grow" tie together brainy-flexing and an insucient world view that on its won would be formidable, but when its combined with the beat machine thats employed by the Doom Team, its a full on masterpiece.

Not everything is, of course, fun and games. Old Paul is a small, but bright point on an album so devoid of honest intent that really speaks to who the man is as a person.

In all, there hasn't really been an album like this in the genre's canon, and its certainly a welcome change from the days of Death Row records.