Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #553 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I suppose I don't think of it as inhumane because I don't think that not causing harm to animals is particularly humane, but ..

For me, the main criticism towards whaling is when it threatens species. I read your arguments that whaling causes pain and coming from a vegan, that's hard to argue with. It does and so using that to justify that it's wrong makes sense! I just think it's slightly ridiculous how people make whaling a target for moral complaints and controversy when compared to some 1000 minke whales each year, there are many millions of cattle, pigs and chickens that suffer as well. Some of the videos posted in this thread show in a very visually disturbing way that not all animals are dead when they are slaughtered. Some places, I'm sure the instant death statistics are not much better than they are for the whales. Also, it's not just the killing which hurts them either. Unlike the whales - cattle, pigs and chickens are often forced to live in crowded and/or tight spaces, a lot of them get hurt during transport, many spend most of their lives living in their own fecal matter, some are bred so that they have chronic pains or handicaps - for example the broiler chickens we eat which become so fat their legs can't even support their own weight. Some of them probably spend their entire short lives in misery only to be put on our dinner plates.

And when you think about how much meat you get from one minke whale .. Comparatively, you'd have to keep and kill thousands of chickens to get the same amount of meat. If you think utilitaristically about the "amount" of suffering you get per pound of meat and make comparisons, I'm sure whaling - at least the kind done with explosive harpoons - comes out pretty good.

Of course to you, all this is wrong so then it's just a matter of how wrong it is .. I'd like to see what an anti-whaling meat eater would think, but I guess there may not be any.
Agreed. I feel close to the whaling issue as I did a project on the Japanese whaling being carried out in Antarctica, the most precious resource left on earth.

My reasoning against whaling is due to the simplicity of the Southern Ocean food chain. If whale species are depleted, the very top of the food chain will no longer exist and it will disrupt the processes for all the other species who rely on it such as Toothfish and Krill.

I understand that there is a cultural element to the Japanese whaling, however at the same time they need to respect the whales existence. What is interesting is that whale meat is no longer economically profitable and is not as popular to eat in Japan as it once was.

Japan needs to step up as a country and at least whale to a sustainable point. If the whaling is for so-called science, then Japan could also take heed of Australia and New Zealand scientists who have found non-invasive ways of finding scientific data on whales, without the need to kill them.