Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Does....
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

I am not a hip-hop connoisseur: of all the musical genres on the planet, hip-hop tends to fall more into a genre I respect rather than a musical area that I feel ravenous to explore. This isn't the genre's fault: I just see too little variety in too many places.

However, in the case of recently deceased Japanese hip-hop producer Nujabes and his various collaborations, there must be some kind of magic at play: from his sampling to production to the beats and rapping itself, this man was my golden calf and idol amidst a seeming abyss of disinterest. And nowhere did he prove how powerful and singular he was as an artist and a songwriter than in 2005's Modal Soul, which would prove to be his last solo studio work.

From the syncopated piano of 'Feather' and Cise Star's opening lines - 'Light as a feather when I'm floating through / Reading through the daily news / Measuring the hurt within the golden rule - to the fading beats and tides of synth in 'Horizon', this is classy chilled out music performed and arranged to a near quantum ideal: it doesn't feel calculated, but the instrumental flow of things is so godly it might as well be.

In short, this is hip-hop that you can drive along to as easily as you can soar and dream with while the rain comes down outside. It might be too smooth for some folks here, but those that don't mind a little peace in their 'Pod might end up praising this as much I do.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 05-29-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote