Music Banter - View Single Post - Suggest MusicBanter events, theme days and the like!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I've thought about something along these lines myself, only I would much rather them be full albums instead. I am very OCD about my music library and hate having bands/artists with one song here and there. When I see someone else's ipod like that, I get really frustrated and can't look at it.
Hmm, I don't have an ipod. In my foobar, it's a simple matter! Any Musicbanter compilation is a Bootleg Mixtape normally sorted under Various Artists and shows up like that when browsing the library. A system / media player and a filing system which let's you sort multiple artists mixtape in some convenient way fixes those problems for me, although I don't have an ipod so perhaps that would've been annoying still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I suggest having themed weeks where everyone who is interested will immerse themselves in a certain genre even if they don't particularly like it. It sounds like a great way to get into styles of music that we maybe never gave a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
This really is a fantastic idea tore.

Im not quite sure how we would work it but i think declaring a week a specific genre themed week ie a jazz week would be a great experiment. Decare the jazz week, maybe get a mod to make a new announcement about it across the boards so everyone is made easily aware of it when they log in and then hope it catches on.

We could start a couple of threads specifically for the occasion to try and generate enough participation as possible, maybe a compilation contributed by some of the more knowledgeable members in that genre or a thread for our favourite albums in that genre (with a good write up, no lists) or something. Im sure we could think of better threads than that.

But as well as that, if it catches on, i would hope users would feel free to make threads or use their members journals to contribute something to the week if they have any good ideas.
I agree! Genre / Style weeks sounds like just the thing so I'll try and see what I can do to make it happen

First, I guess we should figure out what the weeks could be. There are many weeks in a year, so maybe I can make a list of a whole bunch of theme ideas and just randomize it's order. Then funk week will be followed by movie soundtracks week which is followed by samba week which is followed by bluegrass week .. We could mix more general themes with a few more narrow themes now and then. Hopefully, something like that would be stimulating on what goes on on the forums.