Music Banter - View Single Post - Philadelphia Soul!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Funnily enough the Philly Sound has a big place in the Northern Soul scene Neapolitan.
The music coming out of Philadelphia from the mid to late 60's in particular was astounding.
Here's 3 of my favourite Philly acts;

Cindy Scott in particular. She began singing and writing her own songs as young as 14.
I was intrigued by the information that Cindy Scott was writing and singing songs at age 14, so I decided to try to learn more about what makes some of her music "Philadelphia Soul." The Youtube video you posted last year ago isn't active now, so I don't know which song it was.

I did find out that Cindy Scott (real name Sundray Tucker) was raised in Philadelphia, where Philly soul music had "funk influences and lush instrumental arrangements, often featuring sweeping strings and piercing horns," and often a glockenspiel in the background (Wikipedia).

So, I decided to try to find a Cindy Scott song that I think has the Philly soul sound. I'd also like to be sure I can distinguish it from the Northern soul sound.

Sundray Tucker - If it was me. Now, I can definitely hear the "disco" in this song, and it has strings...and some bells. Is *this* Philly soul?

Cindy Scott and the Cousins - What are you doin' to me? Now, I don't think this is Philly soul. I don't know what it is. Her voice in this song reminds me of Cyndi Lauper, though. Of the three, this is my favorite, probably because I like Cyndi Lauper.

Cindy Scott - I love you baby. Now, I think this is Northern soul. Is that correct? It kind of has a bouncy, dancy beat, and I can imagine those Japanese dancers spinning around to this song.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote