Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #349 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
To numberninedream:

Where do you think is the most interesting city/site/place/area in Lebanon? I ask because I'll be in Lebanon in a few months, and I'll only have two or three weeks there. Lebanon's the country I'm actually most excited to go to (also going to be travelling through syria, jordan, israel and egypt) so I'd like to pick your brain a bit Where would you tell someone to go that would allow them to experience as much as they can in just 2 or 3 weeks?

(also, I'm Canadian but live in Turkey, so if anyone has any questions about either country, shoot)
Wow, glad you asked.
I think 2 or 3 weeks are pretty good, to discover and get blasted in a little country such as Lebanon.

So...
If you're in BEIRUT:

Overrated places to avoid: The Downtown, or what we call "Solidaire". Boring place, that's expensive for no apparent reason, and full of tourists that only want to brag about their money.

For a good nightlife:
-Gemayze: Easily the busiest street in Lebanon. Over 50 pubs. You can have your pick of classy, very expensive pubs, to very familiar/homy ones. here you go.
-Monot: 5 minutes from Gemayze. Another street with more than 20 pubs. If you just wanted a less crowdy place.
-Hamra: Leaving the best for last. A genuinely Lebanese place, if not the only one. It's the place to go, if you want to have a drink in a cool pub, listening to some quality music. From Jazz pubs, to pubs with Local Underground bands. Plus, it's much cheaper than the two other streets mentioned. Pubs I'd recommend "Walimet Wardeh", "Obrous", "T Marbouta", "Graffiti" and "Barometre". Pixi.

A PLACE TO AVOID IF YOU'RE TURKISH:

I know you're Canadian, but just don't be too obvious about living in Turkey when passing by a place called Borj Hammoud. It's the place to go if you want to get everything for 1$, but it's populated by Armenians that haven't much mixed with the rest of the population. So they're still angry about the whole Armenian Genocide thing.
I'd recommend this area, if you want to buy pirated DVDs of very good quality, with 0,66$ each. In a place where Internet connexion is very slow, the people needs to replace movie downloads with something.

ECO-TOURISM:

A lot of cool places, for the lovers of nature.
-Jeita Grotto: Possibly, one of the biggest caves in the world. Very much recommended for any visitor ready to be amazed by some underground wonder. Check it out.

-The Cedars of Lebanon:
Two places, with the rare tree called "The Cedars of God" (or "Arz el Rab"), only available in Lebanon, thus having this tree drawn on our flag.
Al Barouk (Chouf): My favourite forest actually. You can't but stand in awe looking to these majestic immortal trees. Trees R us.
Bcharre (North): It's the biggest Arz forest. Not as beautiful as the first, but it certainly is maintained better. However, if you're ever in Bcharre, don't forget to visit the Gubran Kahlil Gubran museum, built in his hometown Bcharre (obviously), where all his original paintings are preserved in his childhood house. It's a shame not to visit this village in the winter though. You can ski between the snow covered cedars. Snowtree.

-The Beach
And then of course there's the beach. A LOT of options in that area, so I guess you can just follow your instinct for that one.

HISTORICAL SITES:

-Baalbeck:
In the Valley of Bekaa. The largest city in the Roman Empire. The kind that gets the rumours of being built by aliens. Plus a festival is held there, between the ruins in July.Check-shee.

-Byblos:
In Jbeil, the first city in History, thus the oldest seaport is present there. It's in a way 4 cities built on top of each other. The first being Phoenician, then Roman, after there's the Crusaders, finally the Ottoman empire left, and the Lebanese built their own city there. Here is.

Other than the ruins there, there are the Souks, which are still pretty sweet. And at night, you can just get in some restaurant or pub in the ancient market. Proof.
Also, a festival gets hosted between the ruins in July. Archive and Gorillaz are coming, and a popular local band is singing there too. If you're here in July maybe you can catch a concert on your way.

-Beiteddine:
In Chouf, Beiteddine is the castle of our ex princes. A very neat place to visit also. And of course, a festival is held there in July. Pink Martini and Diana Krall will be there. Teh Castle.

On your way there, you can visit the neighbouring town, and the ancient capital of Mount Lebanon (during the Ottoman occupation), and my hometown: Deir el Qamar.
A very nice place, that is always buzzing with European tourists (the cultivated kind, with the Professional Camera). It's just beautiful to relax there, in the Midan. Pic for yeh.

In the South of Lebanon:

Tyr: Another city by the sea. 1 2

Sidon: Right next to Tyr, another city by the sea. You know it.

Qana: (Jesus' cave, and the first miracle) Just down the road, from Tyre and Sidon. Stones.
If you're going to Israel, they too have another Qana that is said to be the place of the first miracle. I guess you can see both of them, and check for yourself.

--------
Well there's a lot of other places. But I think for a general idea that's enough. But if you have any thing specific in your mind, that I forgot to mention, you can ask.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote