Music Banter - View Single Post - Why I don't think a Judgemental God could exist.
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I think the idea of God as judgmental is an idea competing with other ideas which has helped make people believe in christianity as well as itsself so that it has effectively spread among christians. I think religions are full of competing ideas and the ones that become most "popular" spread most among believers and thus gain the largest followings.

As for God being judgmental, hmm .. It doesn't make sense to me either. He creates humans and he also creates the apple, so he kind of designs the mischief done by Adam and Eve. Then he punishes them for basically following his plan. It seems he has created the possibility for people to have free will so that those who follow him do not do it out of pure programming, but "choice", although indoctrination and so on seems to play a great part. Why does he even need followers? Does God get satisfaction from belief? That doesn't sound omnipotent and perfect which is traditionally what God is claimed to be.

If it's all just a test of our spirits, why does he think it's so good to blindly follow teachings without questioning rights and wrongs? Is that really a virtue? I don't believe there is a God, but if there is, he, she or it can't be anything like what most christians would have you believe.