Music Banter - View Single Post - Prayers answered? Good Luck? Mind over matter?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I came across a video a while back that offered a pretty interesting (however simple) observation of how prayers are answered/not answered.
It's an atheistic view regarding coincidence and how it fits into prayer, substituting god--as the deity being prayed to--for a jug of milk...

While it's not exactly chock-full of references and supported by much, it's a short video that I thought made a good example for the illusion of answered prayers.
If any of you would like to check it out, here ya be:

This is pretty much how I feel about the concept of prayers and praying.

But I also learnt a bit about positive visualisation a while ago and how it can help you achieve things in your life. It's not some magical, spiritual crap - it's just the notion of visualising something you want to achieve, thinking positively about it, and then achieving it. The positive thinking of "this WILL happen" gives you encouragement to complete the task and get what you want. For example, if I think "I am going to fail this assignment" I think I will be more likely to fail the assignment because I'm already placing a prophecy on myself that the assignment is not going to be achieved. If I think to myself, "I am going to pass this assignment with ease!" I would be more likely to pass the assignment.

Of course, this wouldn't 'work' in a whole heap of scenarios but I think sometimes this is how praying works for some people. By verbalising and visualising what they want, they have more of an idea of how to go about getting it, and may achieve their goals.