Music Banter - View Single Post - Did you know that Elgar's Enigma is "Pi"?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nimrod
Groupie

How long have you been researching this and when did you come to that conclusion?

I started researching this in April 2007 when I heard about the enigma on public radio, Performance Today. Fred Child, the host, said gave Elgar's 189 clues and said Elgar was surprised that no one had solved the enigma because "it was so simple and well known."
I said laughingly to myself, "if it is simple, maybe I can do it." Sure enough as I thought about it, I surmised that the EV being about his "circle" of friends could be related to a geometric circle. I have always believed that "music is mathematics made audible." So I figured maybe Pi, a constant in all circles, could be involved some how. Having sung in choirs for many years, I was familiar with scales as do-re-me-fa, or similarly 1-2-3-4. I tried silently singing Pi to myself after I went to bed, and realized that 3-1-4-2 was the beginning of the EV. Eureeka. I was excited. I told a few people and they suggested that I needed more proof, so for the past 3 years I have been researching and writing and trying to get my solution published. Wikipedia requires that the info be from a peer reviewed journal before they will consider adding it. Finally, it has been accepted for publication due out any day. I found a lot of interesting things along the way and it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. (I am a retired chemical engineer.) I'll bet you are sorry you asked. Ha Ha.
Nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote