Music Banter - View Single Post - Did you know that Elgar's Enigma is "Pi"?
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nimrod
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Well, I suppose you'll be hard pressed to get anyone to commit to your being right, simply because nobody has any real way of knowing for sure.
Especially as Elgar took the answer with him to his grave.

What I do know about Elgar as an individual, is that he'd be laughing his bollocks off at the stuffiness of these so called "society officials", seeing as he had a sense of humour which these people obviously seem to lack.

Who knows. Given time your thesis may be accepted as theory and become the most likely and popular explanation.
Good luck.
Well since there is no official body to declare "correctness" of any solution, I doubt if it will ever be proclaimed as "solved". However, I am convinced that Elgar's 1929 comments, made when he was 72 and no one had solved his enigma for 30 years, are the key. He wrote three sentences, each of which has a connection to 22/7, fractional Pi. I just find that to be overwhelming evidence that he wanted people to know that the enigma was Pi.

Thanks again for your comments. I must admit I am impressed with your knowledge of Elgar, his enigma, and human nature. You have made this whole experience much more of a pleasure. I can understand why you have so many "friends" on this forum.
Nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote