Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #6568 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Tim Roth plays the bellhop in a hotel on New Years Eve. The film is split into 4 different acts, each act being a different room in the hotel he is called to attend to. Each segment is also directed by a different person. Its a fairly interesting concept i guess but the first two rooms in particular were dreadfully boring and so absurd that i was left wondering what the hell was actually going on at times. The last two rooms, directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino were much better but still absurd. I cant decide whether this film is just a little eccentric or a complete load of shit. It does have a charm to it but im also not too convinced.

Why must film makers cast actors who then have to force an accent? Simon Pegg is not American and I have to say that on the basis of this film, he also cannot fake an American accent. That disappointed me, especially as there is no real reason why his character couldnt have been English. Maybe the English accent would have met him less threatening or something stupid like that. Good comedy/crime thriller overall though. Not to be taken particularly seriously. The story progresses in a very chaotic, almost cartoon like manner as a planned job begins to go wrong and the characters find themselves getting in deeper and deeper trouble.

I had seen this one before but decided i should watch it again. Great British black comedy focusing on the events that unfold at a family funeral. The ensemble cast is mainly British - Matthew McFayden, Rupert Graves, Keeley Hawes, Ewan Bremner, Daisy Donovan. Hell, even Kris Marshall gave a good performance. But the stand out performance has to be from Alan Tudyk who is hilarious throughout. This film does not need a remake. Im dreading what Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence do to it.

Had the potential to bomb but i thought it was done well. Its quite a clever little comedy set in some kind of alternate reality where no one in the world knows how to tell a lie and the consequences of the first lie ever being told. Much better and much funnier than i had thought it would be when i first read about it.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote