Music Banter - View Single Post - learning the Guitar what do I do?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
what do you want to be able to play and why? i don't mean to be dismissive here either, they're legit concerns that need to be addressed sooner or later on any musician's path. it will also help in the type of advice our local guitarists will be able to provide.
Thanks Dave. It seems like I got off my original thought. What I want to do is be able to pick up a sheet of music and play it and not be stuck playing the same ol same ol, thus not learning anything new getting board and burning out. I want to be able to hold my own and sound good either with a or without a band. Lets face it I'm a little old to get good enough to go on tour or make a career out of music, although I'd love to. Also,, Is it more important to be able to read or be good at playing be ear.??? I have herd some of the greatest of my time can't read. The instructor that I was (or am with as soon as I get some more dough) says the stuff he is teaching me (relative minors, the difference between major and minor) will help me a bunch when the time comes when I do learn to read more. Is this for real? I want to be able to play lead and some rhythm. My roots are in blues and Classic rock.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote