Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Reggae Week, Mon!
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

In honor of reggae week, I looked up the one reggae-style song for which I actually remember the title: "Red Red Wine."

I learned that the original song was written by Neil Diamond! Huh, I thought to myself. Huh. That doesn't sound very promising as a reggae song...and it isn't. The song is more of a ballad and I don't think I missed much by never having heard it before today.

The song was then covered by Tony Tribe, a Jamaican rocksteady singer who recorded a reggae-influenced version in 1969. I feel Tribe's version is a little better than the original. Many other people covered this song, too.

Finally, in 1983, UB40 created the version that I always liked and that probably most of you have heard. I don't think I heard this song when it came out in 1983 but later in college, so it brings back memories of dorm rooms and drunk people and failed love.

Here, if you wish, you can compare the progression of songs, culminating in UB40's performance of "Red Red Wine," which I enjoy the most.

As an aside, I really think the UB40 song is pretty and melancholy, but drinking oneself into oblivion to forget someone is not a very productive coping mechanism!! Maybe that's why people like the song: it shows human frailty...and sometimes it is nice to know you aren't the only weak one pining away stupidly for someone. Since I hate wine, I'd probably just use some nice fruit juice...maybe rice drink mixed with coconut-pineapple juice (yum!).

Neil Diamond - Red Red Wine (written and sung by him)

Tony Tribe - Red Red Wine (cover) (1969)

UB 40 - Red Red wine (cover) (1983) --my favorite!

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote