Music Banter - View Single Post - The shuffle mentality vs the full album
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhovanion View Post
A song could have the most brilliant lyrics or awesome rhythm/beat, but if it doesn't have a good melody, I don't consider it to be good music. When you're singing along to a song, it's the core melody you're singing along to. If you play an instrument that doesn't allow you to harmonize and you play a song all by yourself, it'll be the core melody you're playing. That to me is the heart and soul of the song.

Music in its original, primitive and essential form is melody.

You can harp on me all you want, it doesn't take away the fact that a song with a bad/boring/bland melody doesn't appeal to me. It's not something I've decided, that's just what I feel when I listen to music.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word/term here. English isn't my native language. When I say melody I mean the tune of the whole song in general. The actual 'music' if you'd strip away all lyrics, harmonizations, instrumentations and arrangements. What you'd sing if you performed a capella.
Well, you did basically say 'melody is music'. Melody by definition is the succession of single tones in musical compositions, as distinguished from harmony and rhythm. Music isn't just a melody, it's often various melodies with harmonies/rhythms/atmospheric presences. And if you generalize that far, it's just a fraction of what music really is.

And if a song didn't have a melody, would you just not consider it music? I'm not trying to harp on you; Just trying to understand.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote