Music Banter - View Single Post - The shuffle mentality vs the full album
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #48 (permalink)
Rhovanion
Under A Violet Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
Well, you did basically say 'melody is music'. Melody by definition is the succession of single tones in musical compositions, as distinguished from harmony and rhythm. Music isn't just a melody, it's often various melodies with harmonies/rhythms/atmospheric presences. And if you generalize that far, it's just a fraction of what music really is.

And if a song didn't have a melody, would you just not consider it music? I'm not trying to harp on you; Just trying to understand.
Well like I said, I might have been using the wrong term. Melody to me is the core tune of a song, from start to finish. What's left when everything else is stripped away.

I'm not saying the actual tune is the be all and end all of music, but what I am saying is that it's the most important thing in a song for me and what I judge it by. When you sing along to a song, you don't sing along to the atmospheric presences or rhythms. And I consider harmonies (and chord progressions) to be part of the melody too because they help carry it.

You're going to have to give an example of a song with no melody because I can't even fathom what that kind of music would be like.