Music Banter - View Single Post - Ancient Astronauts
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Dom
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I would be a bit sceptical to such facts and how they are interpreted. At such minute details, it would seem likely that any change in the earth's axis would be important and 4-5000 years ago when the pyramid was built, the axis wasn't the exact same as it is today. That could give bias either way, making the pyramid's construction look either more correct (correcting a slight mistake) or less (worsening an error). What about erosion and the pyramid sinking into the sand? This must also have taken place during it's 4-5000 years lifetime.

Also important is that in such programs, they usually interview some kind of experts. These people are typically presented as authorities on whatever their field is, but often they are not completely worthy of that title. Instead, I think they are often chosen because their work is interesting and/or fits the program rather than because their assumptions and hypotheses are so "good". I don't know what the 2 millimetres are, but how on earth do you even get to that number? To me, it sounds a bit too much like a misuse of statistics .. or like a number the producers wanted to include in the program because it so strongly illustrates either the egyptians prowess at pyramid building or the impossibility that they could have done it. If you start thinking about stuff like axis changing, erosion and pyramids sinking, then the possibility of a number like 2 millimetres of anything should seem less and less likely.
On the program they said that taking everything into account the pyramid aligned with those things at the time. They don't algin now. But yes I see where you're coming from. And I think the 2mm accuracy came from calculations of what the perfect pyramid would have looked like, as in geometrically perfect, but I'm not sure. It was an interesting program and it was good that it showed both sides of the argument.

No more stories / are told today / I'm sorry / they washed away // No more stories / the world is grey / I'm tired / let's wash away.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote