Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #373 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
if anybody wants to know about life in Budapest then hit me up with Q's. i'm not a native but i've been living here almost 3 years now...

while i'm here i wonder if anyone has dual citizenship. always been curious about the idea.
I have citizenship in both Canada and the US. I was born in Detroit. My parents were living in Windsor, Ontario at the time. Before 1998, I think, if you were born in the US or in a Commonwealth country to one parent with Canadian citizenship, you automatically received it as well as citizenship in the country you were born in. They don't do that anymore, but it's easier for that child to get Canadian citizenship as opposed to somebody who doesn't have Canadian parents.

Dual citizenship offers a lot of opportunities to the person. For example, when I was choosing post-secondary schools to apply to, I had an extensive choice of schools all over Canada and the US. I chose a school in a city just west of Toronto because it offered the kind of program and degree that I want. If I chose an American school, I wouldn't have to pay the international tuition fee. If you have citizenship, they consider you a domestic student. You don't need an address in the US. I believe it works the same for Canada. I'm thinking about grad school in the US because their graduate music programs (Master of Music and/or a PhD in the field of music) come from schools with more credibility, like Berklee College of Music or Juilliard (though it's very hard to get into Juilliard). Though the University of Toronto has an excellent grad program in music, if I decide to stay in Canada.

Dual citizenship also offers you the opportunity to live and/or work in either country without having to get a Visa, of course. Sometimes both, but of course this only works if the cities are close to each other. For example, if you live in Niagara Falls, NY, you could work in Niagara Falls, ON. My parents were living in Windsor and my mom was working in Detroit (both cities are situated on the Detroit River).

I'm not sure about being able to vote in both countries though. I think you need to have a valid address in a constituency in the other country to be able to participate in elections.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote