Music Banter - View Single Post - learning the Guitar what do I do?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
hmmm blues and classic rock, the starting points for SO MANY guitarists (i still have all my Hendrix tab books hehe). how long have you been playing? what are the 'toughest' songs you've learned so far?

unfortunately getting bored and burning out are legitimate concerns when it comes to playing guitar, especially early on if you're the kind of person who gets a feeling of success from learning something unique rather than a new way of using old pieces. for example, when i was first learning my uncle hooked me up with a chord book and told me to go home and learned the dozen or so shapes he had circled throughout (open majors and minors). a week later i went back he got me to strum through the chords then thoroughly disappointed me when he smiled back and said i was done, that was all i needed to know. i remember wondering how it could be possible. he was right though, all i 'needed' to learn were the chord shapes, after that it was up to me to find ways to use them.

when you mention picking up a piece of sheet music and playing along... do you know how to read tablature yet? it's a form of musical transcription that lends itself incredibly well to the guitar. it's also incredibly easy to find online and in music stores. there's no reason you should be running out of a variety of material to play along with.

as for sounding good, there's nothing that replaces practice. though it doesn't need to feel like 'practicing'. i hardly ever specifically practiced anything, i played a whole hell of a lot to anything within my range though. it made it significantly more fun to build up my chops that way. sure i might not have practiced 'that' full scale frontwards and backwards 99 times everyday for months but who cares? i can still pull it out for 'that' solo in 'that' song.

as for reading vs. playing by ear. there are pros and cons to each. a balanced approach would be best, if not, personally, i'd take the person who can play by ear over the reader. in my experience people who learn entirely from reading have a really hard time playing anything that isn't written down first, which makes for spontaneous bursts of awesome pretty much impossible. the vast majority of musicians i know can't read actual music.

going back to your teacher, this goes back to your personal goals and what you're communicating back to him. there's a difference between wanting to learn to play guitar so you can play along to a bunch of favourites and learning to play guitar so you can write out a new batch of classics. it sounds like your teacher is assuming the latter. there's nothing really wrong with it but in car terms if all you want to do is go fast all you need to know how to do is put the car in gear, hold the wheel straight and floor it... on the other hand your teacher is explaining how the gasoline gets to the engine and is compressed by the pistons prior to being combusted by the sparkplug and delivering power to the engine and yadda yadda yadda.

if all you want to do is learn to rock out bring in specific tunes you want to learn and tell him to help you learn those songs - you're the one paying for these sessions after all.

Yes I can read a little tablature (not enough). I've just had a few people tell me to learn how to read tab or what ever so I can learn more is what was said.
I've been playing this time around about a year and a half (who's counting). In the past I started when I was around 9 or 10 on the ukulele in a class setting (loved it) then went to the Guitar at about 12 or so. I took lessons from the same instructor for a year or so. This is where I made my mistake. I changed from a instructor that was teaching how music is put together vs just how to pluck out a song.... So I learn how to pluck out a few introws,, purple haze, brown sugar, steet fighting man...yada yada, I learned some rhythms like the Who and even a little Led Zeppelin. Got board, discouraged. For personal reasons of the seventies, discovered girls and gave up. I picked it back up again 10 or so years later. gave it half a try, due to whatever excuse I had, it didn't happen. It wasn't till years later that I had my dads old Epiphone I inherited sitting in my house looking at me and calling me "Hey bro remember me when you was a little boy and you used to pluck away on me" It brought a tear to my eye and now on fire! As far as learning new songs, I have none... it's all been scales, up and down and in and out. Minor to Major. Nine thousand (or so) times a day. Just where A B C and D are and where I am (love it). I'm learning now what I should have learned then. Sorry I got a little long winded there..

My teacher asked me what I wanted and I told him I wanted to learn music. and that is what he is/has been teaching me. I do agree with being spontaneous and not having to have something on paper in order to play it. It defiantly comes from the heart. I just wanted to learn how to read enough to give me a jump start. I think I need to have fun with it, learn how to put it together and not be so concerned with my skill level on where I think I should be learning and making it so complicated. Whadda ya think?
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote